Saturday, February 15, 2014

My Father, 老爸

Here is my dear father.  He was the one brought our family from China to Taiwan in 1950 during the hardship of Chinese civil war.  The journey we took to safely arrive in Taiwan was an amazing story that can be written in a book. We are grateful to grow up in Taiwan with peaceful growing years and good education.   He was a WWII veteran and a retired Lieutenant Colonel in Air Force.   When I was a young girl I thought my dad was a very handsome man especially in his Air Force uniform.  He taught us with Chinese values and disciplines.  He was definitely the general of the family.  We were raised under his military authority and disciplines.  He taught girls and boys with the same rules - be independent and fulfill the best in our life.  Under his teaching six of us siblings are doing well in our lives.

I have his photo in my house for many years.  I love this picture of him wearing a traditional Chinese blue robe and a scarf matching with his hat plus the strong light and shadow.  Finally I did an oil painting from it as shown here.  I love this painting very much and will bring it to my brother John during my next visit.

Oil on canvas board, 12x9, Private  Collection

1 comment:

Gaye Sekula: Impressions said...

A wonderful painting and a wonderful story.